Are you looking for a professional plumber that truly cares about clients? You will find Acts of Service Plumbing goes the extra mile in providing every client with the best repairs and care. When you need Plumbing Tulsa repairs, count on us to deliver what you need. We have put together a great article for you to enjoy.
HOW TO GET RID OF RUST STAINS IN THE BATHROOM
Here are several do-it-yourself strategies for rust stain removal from sinks, tubs, and toilet bowls:
- Salt plus lemon juice: Start by mixing these ingredients into a thick paste and spreading it on the rusty surface. Before you start scrubbing, let the paste sit for several hours or overnight. After cleaning the area with a toothbrush and some clean water, repeat.
- Stone of Pumice: A pumice stone is a natural and scratch-free alternative for your discoloured porcelain surfaces. Simply moisten the stone and the troublesome area, then start briskly scrubbing. Use a pumice stone sparingly when dealing with fiberglass because it will scratch the material. There are alternative, less strident ways to deal with fiberglass with stains.
- Scouring pad: A scouring pad and some elbow grease should work well to remove the stains from lighter stains. Again, as it will scratch the surface, avoid using any kind of abrasive material to remove stains from fiberglass.
- Chemical Cleaners: A variety of chemical cleaners are available for rust stain removal from sinks, toilet bowls, and bathtubs. These cleaners cause the rust to oxidize, which making it simple to remove the stain with a damp cloth. Many households, especially those with young children and pets, want to avoid the odors produced by some of these cleaners because they include harsh chemicals in them.
- Big problems still? Call us today for best plumbing Tulsa repairs.
WHAT CAUSES RUST STAINS
Rust forms when iron and oxygen combine with moisture to generate iron oxide on uncoated metal surfaces. That explains why a shaving cream container or razor blade left a rust stain on the edge of the sink. However, water with high levels of iron particulates, bacteria, or plumbing pipes, rusty water heaters, or untreated metal parts in toilet tanks are to blame for the rust stains found close to sink and tub drains and toilet bowls.1
How Often to Clean Rust Stains on Toilets, Tubs, and Sinks
Pay special attention to the parts of the bathroom that are prone to rust stains when you clean it on a weekly basis. Additionally, it is beneficial to completely dry sinks, tubs, and showers after each use to prevent rust flakes from the water from adhering to the surfaces.
Make Use of Citric Acid’s Power
Fresh lemons, limes, grapefruits, lemon or lime juice, or even powdered citric acid that is sold at supermarket and drug stores, can all be used to make citric acid. To provide a mild abrasive to scrub the rust-stained area when using a fresh citrus fruit, dip the cut edge in salt or baking soda.
Apply a paste made of lemon juice and baking soda to heavily stained areas. To aid in the breakdown of the rust particles, cover the paste with plastic wrap to keep it moist and let it sit for at least an hour.
Experience great success when you need the best plumbing Tulsa repairs.
Make use of distilled white vinegar.
Rust stains can be eliminated with the help of the acetic acid in distilled white vinegar. It can be applied once a week to help prevent rust stains from turning permanent, just as citric acid. Even though food-grade distilled white vinegar can be used, rust stains respond better to cleaning vinegar with a higher acidity.
Spray vinegar on the rust stains to clean sinks, tubs, and shower walls on a weekly basis. After cleaning the area with a scrub brush, thoroughly rinse it.
Test out Cream of Tartar.
If you don’t bake or enjoy meringue, you might not have cream. tartar in your pantry, but it works well to remove rust. Usually used as a leavener in baked goods and to help solidify whipped egg whites, cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate) is a powdered version of tartaric acid.
Include Mild Abrasives
You can use any of the acid cleaners by themselves or in combination with mild abrasives like baking soda, table salt, or pumice powder. They are soft enough not to harm bathroom fixtures’ porcelain, fiberglass, or enamel coatings. Always moisten the stained surface with water or cleanser before using the abrasive for the best results. Count on us today for the best plumbing Tulsa repairs.
Utilize industrial rust removers.
Numerous commercial rust removers, such as CLR, are available and perform an excellent job of blot stains. Consider reading labels carefully, following the instructions, and storing and disposing of the products properly as some are harsher than others.
Tips to Prevent Rust Stains on Toilets, Tubs, and Sinks
- Bathroom rust is often the result of iron-rich hard water, especially well water. Installing a filtration system or water softening system will help prevent future stains.
- Cans and decorative storage containers that have metal rings on the bottom (e.g., shaving creams, air fresheners, hair sprays, and cleansers) can quickly rust thanks to the moisture in bathrooms and stain surfaces. Store these items in a cabinet away from the bathtub and sink.
- Wipe down the bathtub and sink after each use to remove iron residue in water droplets.
- Fix plumbing leaks promptly. Even a small drip from a faucet can cause rust stains to build up quickly.
- Inspect toilet tank interiors. Older toilets may have metal components in the tank that are corroded and rusty. Replace these items with non-corrosive PVC components.
What year did Rick Hudson begin his plumbing career? Find the answer on our About Us | Plumbing Tulsa | Acts of Service Plumbing! When it comes to finding plumbing professionals with years of experience, you’ll find we are seasoned plumbers!
Today’s Fun Fact:
Kids are a joy to be around! Do you have little ones at home? Then our plumbers will be sure to treat them with the upmost respect and kindness. Learn more about us at About Us | Plumbing Tulsa | Acts of Service Plumbing. Discover why we go the extra mile when offering the best plumbing Tulsa repairs.
One of the many companies we’ve had the pleasure of serving faithfully over the years is Paul Davis Corporate – Restoration and Emergency Service Provider. Learn more about them today!