Your time is valuable. The more you spend your time gaining wisdom and knowledge to better care for your home, the better your will be. At Acts of Service Plumbing, a well-respected Plumbers Tulsa team, has provided you with great tips to keep your home in tip top shape!
Garbage Disposal: Everything you need to know about Garbage Disposal (Plumber Explains)
Garbage disposal is a great invention that has been around since invention by John Hammes in 1927. It’s an easy and convenient way to get rid of food scraps and other waste from your kitchen. This will help you save time, money, and space by not having to worry about bagged garbage.
Because of plethora of benefits, it has become a required appliance in just about every kitchen. Since its invention the design of the garbage disposal has fairly remain the same but has some additions to enhance the overall working of the device.
This blog will help you understand how garbage disposal works, how to troubleshoot, and the benefits of having one installed in your kitchen. It will also give you some tips on how to choose the best garbage disposal unit according to your needs.
What is garbage disposal?
A garbage disposal is also known as kitchen sink disposal, food waste disposer, or waste disposal unit. It is a device under the kitchen sink that disposes of food waste via an electric motor and blade that chops up food into small pieces and passes them through pipes to the sewer or septic system. It has a grinding chamber that has spinning disc or impeller plate.
How garbage disposal works?
When you turn on the garbage disposal, the food waste goes through the disposal to the outer wall of the grinding chamber with force. A lot of people believe that it has some kind of sharp blades that pulverizes the food into tiny bits. But actually it only has metal teeth and not some kind of blades.
It is electrically powered and installed under a kitchen sink between the sink’s drain and the trap which shreds food waste into pieces small enough—generally less than —to pass through plumbing. It is our goal to satisfy our customers. Call us today for Plumbers Tulsa services.
Things you should not put in a garbage disposal
- Do not pour starch-based products such as potatoes, rice, or pasta down the drain because they can clog the pipes.
- Never put anything that is not food in your garbage disposal.
- Do not put anything with a sharp edge or point, this could damage the blades.
- Do not put anything greasy or oily down the drain. This will just clog it up more quickly.
- Do not pour hot grease down the drain, it will solidify and cause problems later on.
- It’s okay to put coffee grounds in the disposal if you let them cool first because they break down easily and are an excellent natural deodorizer for kitchens. But please don’t grind them up too much; instead use a bowl of water mixed with coffee grounds for cleaning dirty dishes.
Garbage disposal units are a great invention and come with many benefits. Not only do they help you get rid of your food waste, but they also make kitchen clean-up easier. It will help clean your dishes faster; you’ll save on water and soap because you won’t need as much when your dishes are washed.
The most important benefit that comes from owning a garbage disposal is that it reduces the amount of trash in our landfills which helps us stay environmentally friendly. By using a garbage disposal, you’re not throwing any food waste into the trash which means less trash has to go into the landfill so it won’t fill up as fast and we’ll be able to use it for longer without having to worry about getting more land or building another one.
Still need wisdom? Call us for Plumbers Tulsa services.
How to maintain a garbage disposal?
Your garbage disposal is an integral part of your kitchen. They are a fairly inexpensive appliance that can help you save time, money and space by cutting down on the amount of food waste you produce. But for it to work as well as it should and last a long time, you need to know how to properly maintain it.
It requires cleaning every two weeks and make sure not to dump large chunks of food inside. Follow these steps below to get your garbage disposal up and running again in no time:
- Always turn off your disposer when running any other appliance like dishwasher or washing machine. But make sure to run disposal frequently to keep it in a good shape.
- Take note of any unusual noises or smells coming from the unit.
- Unplug your garbage disposal before starting any repairs so there’s less chance of being electrocuted.
- If it’s been awhile since you’ve used your disposal (a few days), then clean out anything caught in or around the blades with cold water from the tap and use a mild dish soap or baking soda followed by some vinegar and turn on your sink faucet to rinse out any residue.
- Use a wet-dry vacuum cleaner attachment to remove hair buildup from inside drain pipes.
How to select the right garbage disposal for your kitchen?
You can choose a garbage disposal simply from your local home center or appliance store. There’re number of models and brands available in the market, but make sure to select one that serves your needs and is in line with your kitchen usage.
Here’s what you should consider when selecting a garbage disposal:
- What type of waste will it be used on? Some units work better than others depending on the type of waste they are designed for.
- How much space do you have under your sink? This will make a difference in the size and power of your unit.
- What is your budget? Buying a quality unit that lasts can save you money in the long run.
How to prevent clogs in garbage disposal?
Grind your food into tiny pieces before putting it down the drain. This will minimize any large chunks that can get stuck and create a clog.
Do not put anything stringy or fibrous into the disposal such as chicken bones or banana peels. Make sure you run plenty of water when using the garbage disposal. And lastly, don’t use too much soap when washing dishes! The suds can cause some particles in the water to stick together and eventually form a clog. Call us for great Plumbers Tulsa services.
One of the many companies we’ve had the pleasure of serving faithfully over the years is Paul Davis Corporate – Restoration and Emergency Service Provider. Learn more about them today!
Learn More About Us:
When it comes to finding a great company that can fix problems, visit Acts Plumbers Tulsa of Service Plumbing page: About Us | Plumbing Tulsa | Acts of Service Plumbing and then give us a call!